Saturday, April 11

Changing My Ways

The most interesting thing about this experiment is that I have actually started to notice myself "thinking" differently.

I no longer scour the food ads thinking, "What do I want to buy?" Since I'm not food shopping this month, I'm not really scouring them at all because there are other forms of reading for entertainment that I prefer. But I don't even think about it. A local grocery store sent me a $15 off a $50 purchase coupon. Before I would have saved it and used it just for the sake of using it, because obviously, "It's a good buy." But if I didn't need $50 worth of groceries, is it really a good buy? So I gave it to my mom.

I did go out to eat today -- but I didn't buy any food (or beverage). My friend Laurie wanted to take my sister and me out for our birthdays (which are two weeks apart). My meal was free because Red Robin sends out an e-mail coupon for a free burger on your birthday if you join their club. Laurie was sweet to pick up my ice tea. The burger was great. The service was better. And the company was even better than the service (which was better than great!)

It was the first time this month I have been out to eat at a restaurant. While it was fun to get out with the girls... I haven't missed going out to eat. I do miss my friends when I don't get to see them.

Once again this experiment proves that 1) People make dining fun! Whether it's the company, great service, or a combination, people trump food. And 2) Once you get over the convenience of eating out or picking something up at the store at the last minute -- eating at home is at least as pleasurable as eating out. It's healthier too.

While I only have 20 more days of this experiment, I don't foresee myself giving up this new way of dining -- planning ahead, using what's in my cupboard, eating a little less (fewer calories) and focusing on who I dine with rather than what we eat. Is it possible to change my ways in only 10 days? Maybe. If the new way is that much better than the old way -- yes, I think I just might be changing my ways for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment